Inspired by some new management techniques, we summarized our previous efforts in one final meeting. In a collegial atmosphere, we stood together, drank coffee and cookies (no cocktails today) and mused about worldly issues. To grab our thoughts and put them in a more orderly fashion, we covered the tables with a paper table-cloth and distributed pencils to every table. In this fashion we put down:
- Things we want to do better in the next step
- Concrete ideas how to make something better
- Whatever we could think of, that has something to do with the project.
For example, you can see on the left side an idea that is called FiVe. It gives five points that should be done for every new team member:
- Vertrag (eng. contract) – Figure out the details for a new team member regarding his personal contract with ITQ (working student, free team member, etc.)
- Vorstellung (eng. introduction) – Introduce the team member to the consultants in ITQ and to the office. Futher to all the Mi5 team members of course
- Verteiler (eng. emails) – Make sure, that the new team member gets all information!
- Verantwortung (eng. responsibility) – Define what the new team members capabilites and thus responsibilietes are
- Vorraussetzung (eng. prerequisites) – What the new team member needs to add to the team: initiative!
There we have also collected information to the following points, that I will sum up here shortly:
- brainstorming needs to be shorter and at defined points
- leadership organization according to abilietes
- email to everybody difficult, often only 50% read and address the emails
- targets in redmine need to be reachable
- communication coach for the team
- weekly meetings: figure out if the whole team needs to hear something or more the module part
- mentor for new team members is good
- more open reviews
Below you find our results. It is the same picture flipped by 180 degrees.
This kind of feedback round was widely appreciated. The team liked the cozy atmosphere of drinking coffee in the conference room. We could talk and sum up our efforts and get together for a last time, before everybody had to head back to his studies.
One thing for sure, we will do this again! Next time maybe with cocktails.