Why not? That’s what we asked ourselves when developing our newest gadget: The Virtual Showcase Mi5. It does all the same as the real one, except for its now only bits and bytes and none of the real cookies and cocktails comes out. However, it has some nice features:
- It is very portable: Built on wheels and completely integrated
- All monitors are connected to only two computers, and it can be controlled with one keyboard and one mouse.
- Software-updates can easily be tested, before it is ported on the real Showcase Mi5.
- Perfect test machine for real-world application customers.
- Test all kind of touch application thanks to our multi-touch panels.
Below you find some impressions:
Today we encountered a little challenge on the XTS programming. Since we load very large configuration files for the OPC UA Server (OPC UA does not let you change the data structure during runtime, therefore we configure it with free space beforehand), the Server had some unpredictable behaviour.
Thanks to our good contact with Beckhoff, Mr. Schätzle, application engineer at Beckhoff, with a lot of expertise in OPC-UA and TwinCAT, came to our office and gave us support. The problem then could be solved within a short time. We used this occasion to show Mr. Schätzle our current setup. He was quite impressed about the latest progress on our project, connecting TwinCAT 3 with Industrial Physics Simulation and the XTS. In our virtual setup we have the modules with motors and sensors, directly interacting with each other and the XTS. It is the first time that he saw, how neat the XTS integration with Industrial Physics works. We also used the time for a little brainstorming to get some input from an expert.
We are glad about the constant supoort by Beckhoff, that fully support us at any time, either through technical components or know how and expertise.
Ps.: Below, you find some impressions of this short visit: